April 20, 2011

Look Good Feel Better & the American Cancer Society

I write this just to encourage “ya’ll” to at least check with your local American Cancer Society and see  how your local office is doing on Wigs for AA’s ; and what you can do to help.
Look Good Feel Better.   In laymen’s  terms, is a program that provides makeup  and skin care tips to women who have been diagnosed with Cancer.   They have scheduled meetings were small groups of women get together and also get to share their Journey’s.
 So there I sit in a room full of women who have , or are preparing to lose their hair.  I attended this event as an observer, and soon I hope to attend the formal training that would allow me to facilitate such an event.
We went over and shared makeup tips, traded colors from our kits.  Discussed their stories,  issues, fears, and triumphs.   Then we discussed the “H” word:  HAIR.     I learned that not everyone  undergoing chemo/radiation looses their hair; and, that many who do do not loose all of it. Nor does it fall out evenly.   Removal methods were discussed, most prefer clipping  the hair really short to shaving.  I discovered that they needed to keep some hair on their head to keep the wigs/hats from slipping around so much.  Wig caps and Scarfing methods were also reviewed.     

                Just between You and I:  Guess what?   They prefer to leave their edges out for a “natural effect”.
 So, I felt compelled to ask:  What about Lace Fronts?
The Director:  Oh, they are too expensive.
Me: (thinking naw, I just saw some for about $70.00 at a BSS) as a said Oh!
The Director then goes on to talk about the limited supply of wigs that the American Cancer Society has on  hand to give to those who need it.   AND that there are not too many for AA’s.  
Just between You and I : Of course you know the choice hair colors are not the “Natural Shades” for AA

At this point let me clarify that I am the only AA in the room.  I engage the Director in a side-bar conversation on this Wig Issue.   She’s about 60+ years of age.   She shares with me that not only do they not have many wigs for AA, she also notes that the few AAs that come for wig fittings are troubled because they can’t  maintain the wigs either.      And “it’s hard to teach them because they are not used to taking care of hair”…..

Just between You and I :  I was floored to have this older women point this out with the “mutual” understanding that often they can’t take care of their own hair. ….  My sistahs…..(SMDH) ….. I had no defense ….as they are use to ..what I call  “disposable hair styles”  Clearly even she recognized that some AA women can’t take care of their own hair, fake hair, and lord knows they are struggling with “chemo” hair. 

Again:  I write this just to encourage “ya’ll” to at least check with your local American Cancer Society and see  how your local office is doing on Wigs for AA’s .    If you have a “gently used” wig, they may be able to use it.  Human hair, breathable caps, and flesh looking crowns are some of the preferred traits.  

**Please not that I did not confirm the sources for their “donated” wigs.   BUT while everyone is “Walking for a Cure” there’s also a need for “Hair/Wigs” until the cure is found.

Now if we could just “cure” the …”I don’t know how to take care of my own hair” that’s obviously rampant in our community. 

I’m Just Say’n.    

                                Just between You and I:    During this experience I remembered how uncomfortable I felt during my scalpy days with Sisterlocks.   I’m still self conscious about the sparseness of my hair in the crown area.     BUT then when compared to the challenges presented during this meeting...... (again SMDH) ....I gotta admit I felt more than a little shallow.


No comments:

Post a Comment