December 14, 2010

Bling, Nape, & Repairs

The title of these 1st few entries will be very “random” since I’m trying to recap my 1st year with SLs.  
Bling: I’ve enclosed a closeup shot of my “nourished” locs just to show a lil’ bling that my otherwise, thirsty-dirty-dishwater-brown hair is currently rocking.    I believe this bling is credited to my glycerin water mix and the Honey/Vitamin E Oil rinse I did a 2 days ago.


Nape loc'd at 10 months

Loose haired Nape.  Longest length














Nape:  The point of this is to show that “retention” is very important to seeing length and determining growth results.  I’ve always hated my nape.  It looks like a Z drawn by a blind 4year-old (not neat at all).  The 1st nape shot is from my nape when my hair was “loose” and about 2yrs into my babying this area by applying the perm last, and texlaxing(underprocessing) all at the same time, this was about as much length as I ever held on to.    The 2nd nape shot is of the same area with a 10month old Sisterlock install. 



Repairs:  I’m slowly interlocking the back of hair from the nape up.   My “endstate” should be locs that are tighter and less frizzy. 
Mentioned earlier: I started twisting (instead of latching) sometime in October.    
Perhaps I should also mention that:  At some time during my journey  (April-June) I began interlocking the relaxed portion of my SLs, this was a very-very-very- tedious process but I wanted all of my hair done, so I started this DIY project.   The process was never completely finished because I had a lot going on during this timeframe. 
With that said starting from the nape up, I’m now going through loc – by – loc and repairing.  Tip-to-Middle and Root-to-Middle as needed.  The picture here shows the newgrowth & the repaired “compacted” area of the loc.   I hope to be done with this phase before spring .  (I’m in no rushing)  
Repair for: unraveling
 permed ends & flyaways



I HOPE TO GET BETTER WITH PICTURE PLACEMENT, LOL

2 comments:

  1. Your hair looks so much like mine, especially at the nape. It's very fine and thin at the roots around the edges and thickens up in the middle, but I've never been able to keep any hair back there. And whatever hair did grow certainly not grow evenly. I'm hoping that since I've stopped with the chemicals, that the hair won't be afraid to come on back. The few locs I have back there are holding on tight after 10 months and are far longer than I ever thought they would be! But there's still a LOT of empty space at nape. You can see most of my scalp in that area. How's it been going since December?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting.

    Locking has been going well, ....work and personal life "been way too busy". I'm getting a grip now.

    I'd recommend frequent massages in the "spacey" areas also, go an "innaNet" search for Essential Oils (EO)to stimulate hair growth. Right now I'm enjoying the use and smell of Basil Oil; I add the EO to my conditioners & rinses.

    ReplyDelete