December 13, 2010

Initial Shock and Self-Maintenance

Install
     During the final stages of my “migration” towards sisterlocks I did a ton of research, a “TON” I tell ya!   I clicked through (what seems like) every SL Fotki out there.   Still the frizz and the “scalpyness” was a bit much for me to take in.  
     After my install was complete I spent quite a few minutes in the mirror tweaking my ponytail, frizz and length issues, while mulling over solutions to thoughts like:  What will my “co-workers” think?  How will they react?      Am I going to have to explain this?    Man, I took of half-a-day to get this done?  I can’t go in looking like this …..and to think I spent $400+      OMG!  

Fly-aways!
I can't have this happening every time I take my cap off!

          Some of you might say, who cares what they think.   Well, perhaps now that these are not “ordinary co-workers”,  I’m Military and Uncle Sam (“Specifically AR 670-1”) not only tells us how long our nails can be, it also sets forth guidelines about how to wear our hair.   It uses terms like  “unkempt” which is highly subjective; also there’s this verbiage:  Soldiers must take pride in their appearance at all times, in or out of uniform, on and off duty” which is also subjective.    Clearly I was walking the line with this decision especially with my Time-In-Service and Rank.  It was this point that gave me the resolve to “adjust” the path for My Loc journey, and I’m glad I did.  Thank God I had 32 hours before I have to go back to work!!!!!!   
       I did what I did, and I’m quite pleased with my decision.   My hair is naturally dryer, fine/thin and “wispy” to say the least.  Wigs/weaves, or other cover-ups were out of the question.   


Self-Maintaining
     I admit that since my class I’ve only been back for 1 or 2 retightenings.   DIY has taught me a lot of patience and at least 1 good trick to counter the scalpy look.  (I think the hair/scalp color contrast influence me more than just being able to see my scalp
     I to do my re-ti’s in (calculated) sections, this lessens the scalpy look of a fresh re-ti.  (about 3-4 rows in around the circumference, wait a week, then do the rest in sections, by the 4th/5th week you might want to repeat the process)

Touching up the back area.



    I’m very tender-headed so this next tip is not a problem for me:  Never re-ti too tight, and avoid tightening  the locs to the point that it’s “snug” to the head.  Leave room for “flexibility”, you’ll feel better and worry less.    Especially if you wear a lot of ponytails/buns like I have to.
  
 The last picture show my usual work pony, the bun was toooo tight for my tender head.    Though I've gotten comfortable wearing buns now.


No comments:

Post a Comment