December 12, 2010

Can’t We All Just Get Along?

The flyaways pre-extensions,
 OMG the controversy!
 (after all we've all walked away from the "relaxer")



What an honor, the Dr's is in!
She visited our training class
  
Bottom line up front:  I have been surprised to find that in the Black hair communities strongly biased attitudes are rampant (Natural, Loc’d, Relaxed, Mixed or whateva).  

A few weeks into my locking journey I sat in a room full of varied hairstyles (who were all there to learn become Certified SisterLock ™ trainees).  The list below includes several of the comment I received because “I” chose to alter my SLs by “adding” length to the shorter ones in my crown/bang area (and Yes, I did this myself before I knew this was taboo).

ü  “You can’t do that to SLs they aren’t SLs anymore”.
o     (My thoughts: Ummm, I paid $400+ for this “install” and I’ll damn well do with them what I please.  Besides if your loc’ snapped off you’d tried to “attach” it back…..)
ü  Just cut those “dead” ends off!!!!
o    (Coming from a someone with a lovely head full of someone else’s hair with an agreement nod, from a relaxed sistah)
ü  “Long-hair is a crutch”, “It’s just hair, it will grow back”

ü  “You can’t manage two hair textures”
ü  “Why would you flat-iron your “locs”?
ü  “Whyyyyy would you do that to your hair?”
ü  “How long are you going to keep that style?”
ü  “Loc’s are dirty"
o    (this from a SL’er referring to the usual types of Locs)

RANDOM COMMENTS FROM OTHER RANDOM FOLKS:

Ø  “Cultivated locs are not real locs, they are a fashion statement... My locs are “real” or …”Those are SLs? I have “real” locs”
Ø  “That’s why Madame CJ Walker invented the Straightening Comb”
o    (from “permies”) … ugh the irony!

Ø  Strange stares followed by…..“When are you going to comb you hair.”
o    Notice I did not put this down as a question, I know this was a statement about what I need to do with my hair, LOL.
Ø  “I can’t be looking crazy, that’s why I wear my…….. “
o    (from wig/weaver)…”
Ø  I have been totally amused when on more than one occasion I’ve seen a weave wearer sit amongst a group of non-black’s and diss another sister’s hair
o    ….Talking about “s-t-u-p-i-d”.   Child please! Acting like “you” have overcome…..


In closing, I'd just like to pray that we in the natural or (tightly coiled) community rid ourselves of the Negative Energy, Comments, Vocabulary, and Perceptions.    Heck if "We" don't then "They" never will. 
 
A few members of my training class.  We're now Certified SisteLock Trainee's! 
I'm om the end rocking a briad-out.  6weeks in to the Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment