December 25, 2010

Coloring, Repairing and What-not


Slippage (hole) in permed end of loc

Holes, Slippage &Repairs:  Shortly after starting my Sisterlock journey, I took the course and learned to do them myself.   Yay for me!!!    After that class I also took the time to interlock the permed length of my hair.    It is in this area that I have experienced the most slippage.   A little before starting the blog I started slowly repairing slippage in my locs. 

"Say hello to my little friend"...um... new tool

   My favorite tool is a beveled tip upholstery needle (see pic).   The beveled tip is THE BOMB, and it glides easily into the locs with minimal force or damage.  Because of this, it can also be used to tighten up the holes in locs that result from incorrect rotations.   The eye of the needle can be enlarged by using a reamer for beads.       I started at the nape doing a combo of repairs and retightening.     Before I knew it I was using this new tool for the whole repair/re-ti/compacting locks process. 
Before this repair session many of my locs essentially looked like this
<<Professionally SL install **    Permed hair that I interlocked with (==slippage or loose hairs)
Scalp[<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<** ========<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<============
Trims:   About every 2 weeks I like to flatiron my hair.  Every couple of months I’d pull my newly straightened locks under my chin and trim .5 to 1 inch off.   Of, course this has led to a lot of slippage on the clipped locks (I’ve just come to realize this).    Now that I’ve retightend these, I will refrain from trimming for quite some time, the permed hair is not “locking”, and I don’t want it to unravel any more.   

Spray on Tem’pry hair colors:    This week, I also decided to check out a new hair color, “Black”.  The color looks both natural and good on me.  I used a spray on hair color by Jerome Russell (available at local BSS).   Careful though because I found that the color rubs off easily.  I also have a blonde color that I’m toying with. 
Pros:   Can’t damage hair; allows you to change up the colors as often as you’d like; allows for creativity with color applications;  very cost effective means of coloring at $4. per can.
Cons:  The Jerome Russell brand rubs off.  Careful application requires or you’ll look “spray painted”.  (hold head upside down and keep the can at least 10 inches away….then run your fingers through the hair to help distribute the color)

Brown hair
Black Hair, instantly!


1 comment:

  1. thank you for posting the temporary, spray on hair color. I've been looking for a product like this for sometime, and I didn't want to use permanent or semi-permanent hair color anymore. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete